Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Your workout is my warmup.



This morning I woke up to the sound of cars passing in the rain. I wasn't going to get any more sleep, so I shook myself out of bed and headed down to Maltese Crossfit for the workout of the day (WOD).

I did 10 burpees, 10 pullups, 10 hanging knees-to-elbows, and 10 squats 3 times through. And then we actually worked out. Today's WOD went like this:

100' walking lunge
21 push up
21 sit up
100' walking lunge
18 push up
18 sit up
100' walking lunge
15 push up
15 sit up
100' walking lunge
12 push up
12 sit up
100' walking lunge
9 push up
9 sit up
100' walking lunge
6 push up
6 sit up

... for time.

It took me 08:57 and I was feeling the after-effects of yesterdays sprints and deadlifts. Yep. An eight minute workout. Crossfit prizes work capacity and functionality above all else. In short, you train in the gym to be good at life.

We run and jump and lift and climb and row. Our workouts draw from Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, gymnastics, strongman, & track and field. And all of it is set against the clock.

I started Crossfit as an experiment last summer as the product of 10 years in the gym searching for better methodologies. I've trained as a bodybuilder, track athlete, powerlifter, martial artist, and strongman. I've used Zatiorsky's methods, Medvedyev's methods and read Siff and Rippetoe and Simmons. And in that time my weight has been as low as 168 and as high as 240. I now weigh 205 at 6'2" -- I deadlift over 440# and I completed a 50 mile marathon in 26th/50. I have never been stronger, faster, more flexible, or more endurant. And I do this in less than 30 minutes a day. I will never do anything else.

Crossfit is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment