Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hardware, restoration. Part I.



In the process of cleaning out the shop I discovered this sewing machine. It's a White Brand, from the early 1900's. As nearly as I can tell from asking around, it belonged to my great-grandmother. Even the contents of the drawers are exactly as she left them, as if she left one day and never came back. There are buttons, needles, thread, and even an old passport-size school photo of a distant relative.

I'm going to restore it- not because I have a need for a foot powered machine per se, though many of them are still in use in China. The technology is old, but it still works (kind of a theme here). I'm going to restore it because it will give me insight into historical construction methods, and help to develop my skill in fitting and finishing furniture and rebuilding vintage machinery.

I can't resist. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment